It’s that time of the week again……HUMP DAY!
I do not know about you guys, but this week has been a drag for me! I thought this week would be a good time to share some helpful interview tips! The career fair at UTK is this week! Hopefully, after the career fair, you have job interviews lined up!
So here’s my advice!
- Resume ……Resume……RESUME! Create a GREAT resume….this is all they know about you when you walk in the door!
- Have an elevator pitch (hint- So, tell me a little bit about yourself!) Guys! This is it….this is your chance to SELL YOURSELF! Let them know why you are the one for the job!
- Buy a nice business professional outfit!
- Practice interview questions! Do not memorize, or you will sound scripted! Just review questions they will ask. EX: Why should we hire you? How will you benefit our company? Remember what our parents always told us: Practice makes perfect!
- Research the company and job you are interviewing for! Be excited about the company and let them know it! I used this in an interview and they were SO shocked I knew all about the company and what it stood for! Research only makes you smarter!
- Be confident in your skills! Remember, sell yourself! If you got skills, flaunt them!
- Ditch the phone! I don’t need to explain this one.
- “Early is on time, on time is late, and late is unacceptable.” Live by this when you have an interview! Be Early!
- Avoid negativity! Do NOT talk bad about an old boss or a previous company you worked for! One, they do not care. Two, employers do not want negativity in their company!
- Always follow up! Handwritten letters are the way to go here! But seriously, do not let them forget you. Follow up!
Remember you will never get a second chance to make a first impression, so make it count!
Good luck with your interviews and remember. “You must always have faith in yourself!” –Elle Woods
Trust me, I’m just a small town girl moving to the big city, living the dream!